A Newbie's Take on Going to the Gym



Back in school, I was that girl who always made excuses in PE class so I wouldn't participate in the activities my teacher planned for us. Whether it be periods, most occasionally flu, I'm always at the top of the game at making excuses. To be fair, I hate joining in in soccer or basketball games because they're just not my thing! And to be graded on something that I'm horrible at wasn't fair to me at all. I was always crippled with anxiety whenever the class was about to start, may even had sleepless nights because of it. Very dramatic I know, but I'm an overthinker alright!

At the beginning of 2015 I started "working out" (note the quotation marks). I only did it for 20 minutes or so, maximum was around 30 minutes and although I did see a few differences in my body, I wasn't satisfied with how the results were going. At times I would go full on and worked out every single day for a month, and then I would stop working out for a full three months. You get the point, right? I get bored easily, and it's very hard for me to stick to one thing for a long period of time.

In the eighteen years I've lived on Earth, I've never been to the gym before. I surprised myself by getting into my local gym in early November and got myself a personal trainer. At first, the thought of having a personal trainer scared the crap outta me because a) I'm not the greatest with human beings and b) I was embarrassed at how unfit I was. People close to me would know that I'm a doodling buffoon with the male species, so thankfully I was assigned to a female personal trainer. Now I'm not opposed to having a male PT, it's just that with a female PT she can understand my body better and how far I can push through whilst working out. The main reason why I decided to get myself a PT is because I'm a klutz. Working out on my own and lifting weights without assistance would lead me to pain!

Another fear of mine when joining in my local gym was working out in front of loads of other people. Even at home, when I work out, I usually coop myself in a spare room and would forbid my parents from entering the room when I'm there. Thankfully enough, in the gym people mind their own businesses and wouldn't give a crap if you looked like a tomato because that is what I resemble every single time I'm in the gym. Does anyone experience the red faced syndrome as I do?! I mean, I don't look flushed at all, I genuinely look like a tomato. 🍅

I've been going to the gym at least 3-4 times a week now and I'm feeling greater than I've been before. After a workout, I usually feel bleh and all, but I'll usually feel better after a cold shower. You do not want to know how much pain I was the first week I joined the gym. I kid you not, I could not walk for one week straight. I was in that much pain! Thankfully now, I'm not in much pain, but the occasional soreness I get reminds me that my muscles are stretched out and getting firmer than it was flabby.

All in all, going to the gym has been a great experience for me and one of the best decisions I've made this year. There's just something different working out in a gym than at home, because at the gym you're surrounded by people who are working out, which motivates me to push harder and motivates me as well. So if you're thinking of joining your local gym, go on! Take it from someone like me, I absolutely hated working but ey ey, look at me now. Totally up to you if you want to get yourself a PT or not, but for me right now I love having a PT because I actually see a difference in my body and she also encourages me to go on forth when all I wanna do is lay down on a mat and doze off. Make it a New Year's resolution if you'd like!

Would love to know your thoughts on working out!

Much love, Ashley xx

Stay in touch with me!
instagram / twitter / bloglovin 

Comments

  1. I have considered the option of joining a gym and getting a PT, sadly the gym is so far off from home. So here I am, struggling with getting out of bed, skipping work-out days, and not even working out for months. You are right! I need this to be my new year resolution. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Meenah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, so glad you found a resolution to check off the list for the New Year! Hope it goes well for you. :)

      Delete
  2. Rather than going to the gym, I find myself more comfortable doing it at home :D I guess it has become a sort of a habit now, because I feel really great after working out, so I actually look forward to it. Currently I'm changing my schedule though; I used to work out with the Kayla Itsines app, but now I'm building a routine of my own, because some of her exercises are too much for me atm. Your post has actually inspired me to make one of my own once I have my routine set up :D

    http://dangerouslyme.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sora! Thanks for writing out your workout experience for me. Ah, I used to be a fan of working out at home because then I get to do it without anyone seeing me sweat my butt off. Oooh, I would looove to hear about your own workout routine!

      Delete
  3. great post :)
    NEW BLOG ! please follow me : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted a PT because I'm not committed enough - I would hope that would force me into the gym! haha.
    xx Leah

    www.fashtrav.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you should! I don't usually stick to routine too, I get bored easily of anything - surprisingly I've stuck to my PT sessions well! Never skipped my sessions by making lame excuses as I usually do, haha.

      Delete
  5. I can totally relate to this post hun! I also started the gym this year and omg I can now run for 30 minutes straight. I could not do it for like 1minute before without being totally dead.. I hope to continue 2017 and make it even better :)

    xx Lisa
    lisaautumn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Wow, 30 minutes, that's sooo dang cool. I hope you continue doing this in the New Year. xx

      Delete
  6. Love this - great shots! x

    www.stylepetal.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl I love this post and can honestly say, I join you in the red faced club - I don't know what's wrong with me I go all blotchy which is V attractive haha! I seriously need to get my butt down to the gym and start working out again, it's always such a good feeling once you've been. P.s that top / water bottle are EPIC!

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad I'm the only one! I always feel as if I'm the only beet red in the gym, haha. I always feel soooo great afterwards. The water bottle is quite big and I love it, I always get so thirsty whilst working out.

      Delete
  8. i love this post, it's so relatable. at university last year i really piled on the weight sat in my dorm 24/7 and the gym was the worst at the start. then i started to get so much more energy and a better nights sleep and i even stopped going to the gym in makeup. i fully embraced the tomato face and i felt so much better for it, i can't wait to get back into it after christmas!
    jen / velvet spring xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't breathe and walk properly the first week I joined the gym, but it's all fine now! I've never felt as great as I am now, really. Hahaha, yup, you just gotta embrace the tomato face when you're at the gym! Yay, good luck to you. xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the inspiration to work out! I haven't had a 'work out' in so many years. Time to get movin' maybe.
    jaspoole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone!
    I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr. Ahmed for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! Ahmedutimate@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, if you need your Ex lover back fast! And his result is 100% guarantee….
    After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. I tried to be strong just for the kids but I could not control the pain that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because I was really in love with my husband. Every day and night I think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 18 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pains he caused me and the kids. Then from that day, our Marriage was now stronger than how it was before, all thanks to Dr Ahmed he is so powerful and I decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Ahmed real and powerful spell caster who I will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:
    Email him at: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com
    Call / what’s-app him: +2348160153829

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts