Westminster Abbey



Westminster Abbey.. You're all probably familiar with it by now. But if you're not here's a lil history (the ones I know anyway) about historical events that happened in the Abbey and also some of the names of people that are buried there. Henry VIII married Anne Boleyn back in 1533; coronations such as of Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria took place in the Abbey and lastly, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge' wedding took place here as well. As for the burials, people such as; Isaac Newton, Elizabeth I, Mary I, Mary Queen of Scots, Anne Cleves (one of Henry VIII's wives) and Charles Dickens to name a few who are buried in the Abbey.

Unfortunately, no photography or video taking is allowed inside the Abbey. Which sucked, because I love taking photographs and scrolling through them when I miss London. Luckily, we could take our camera out when we entered the garden! The Abbey was pretty crowded when I went there as we went after lunch time, so I think the best time to really see the Abbey and look at everything inside in detail, is in the morning or an hour before the last entrance!


While I really loved looking through the inside of the Abbey and being able to see the place of burials of so many British monarchs that I've known of for quite a while now from books and TV shows, nothing beats the feeling of discovering the Abbey's own garden: the College Garden. I felt nothing but serene peacefulness deep inside me as we stayed in the garden. Very surprising as Westminster Abbey's located right at the heart of the city, surrounded by tourists and honking cabs. But surprisingly, it was really quite in the garden and it felt so great to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, even if it was just for a while.


I honestly felt as if I was in a Jane Austen movie, no kidding! For someone who's not that much of a big fan of gardens, I really really loved the gardens that I visited whilst I was there. I guess there's just something special about English gardens, ey?

This said door is said to be "Britain's Oldest Door" 
Definitely worth the visit! Despite it being rather gloomy and cold that day, I was happier than ever that I finally got to the famous Abbey that many monarchs that I admire and am so infatuated with frequented at their time. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Henry VIII as he is a bit of a douchebag, but I got to be in a place where he got married in, TWICE! Pretty darn cool if I do so say myself.

There is a fee to enter the Abbey, but I think it's completely worth the visit if you asked me! Immersing myself in thousands of years of British history is my favorite thing to do.

I really hoped you enjoyed this post! Sorry for the London overload posts, I hope you don't mind. I do love sharing some of the pictures that I took whilst I was there with you lovely people. Don't mind if I do! *hehehe*

Fee - Adults; £20, Children (6-16 years) £9. 


Address:
20 Deans Yd, London SW1P 3PA, United Kingdom 

Much love, Ashley

























Comments

  1. I've just discovered your blog and I love it! This post is beautiful, pictures are perfect and the design of your blog is really cute! :)
    https://barbiegirl06.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much!! So lovely of you to say. :) xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures! It looks so beautiful x

    http://jessbethan.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing architecture. Lovely photos :)


    xoxo Eva | www.evakindles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of their architecture, it's so complex and beautiful! Thanks, Eva. :)

      Delete
  4. Great pictures doll!! So much history wrapped in that building, great post hun xo

    stylegrande.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that looks so beautiful. Gorgeous pictures!

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your London posts Ash <3
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the pictures are so pretty!

    Hilary
    www.theclosetelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, Ashley! Your photos make me feel like I am right there! Beautiful architecture, at every turn, you captured the grandeur of the Abbey! I especially love the photos taken inside the doorway or window, looking out! Excellent!

    Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thank you so much, Luci! I get so fidgety when someone compliments me on my photography, but in a good way! Means a lot to me. :) <3

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous place! Your pics captured its beauty so well!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful pictures! Hope you're having a lovely week dear xx

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gloomy UK weather... everything is better when the sky is not grey and there's no rain :) What an amazing place, it is definitely worth the visit! x

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but to be honest, I don't mind grey skies at all! Definitely worth the visit. :)

      Delete
  12. I don't think anyone minds an overload of London posts!! What a beautiful place. I've always wanted to travel there. And I definitely don't mind the grey skies either. I really like them actually. Beautiful pics!:)

    ~Krisztina
    http://www.krisztinawilliams.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so glad that you like it! I just feel like a nuisance sometimes when I post travel posts, hahaha. Oh you must go one day! It'll be worth it. Yeah for someone who lives in tropical weather all year round, I don't mind grey skies either! Thank you, Krisztina! x

      Delete
  13. I've heard of this place, but didn't know much about it. This place looks so cool, especially with its history. I'd love to visit if I'm ever in the city D:

    http://www.deasynoel.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the visit!! You'll love it. I love the history too! x

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos of a beautiful place!

    The Leach Life | theleachlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts